Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Platform and Back Wheel Support

I was banging around different material for the platform and I know that I will be going through a couple iterations. I knew that plexiglass would look cool but I questioned the stability of it. Turns out that it's not too bad at this point.

 
 
The back wheel support was a design that I made in Solidworks and printed on a Solidoodle 3. The idea with this is that the dc motors would connect to the front wheels and they would also be responsible for steering. The back is a ball caster, allowing the robot to do a true 'turn on a dime'. My first robot had wheel casters and they worked but the problem with them is that if the wheel is at 90 degrees from the front wheels, if you wanted to move forward, you would not be able to go in an immediate straight line until the caster straightens out. The ball caster eliminates this problem. 
 
 
 
 
The file created for the back support ball caster.

No comments:

Post a Comment